Monday, March 17, 2014

New Pageant and New Platform

I have exciting news! Before I tell you, I apologize that this blog may be a bit lengthy. But seriously, I think you'll like it.

I'm trying something new. Something a bit different that I think may be my niche. Fingers crossed. I'm competing in a pageant I've never competed in and representing a new platform.

As most of you know, I usually advocate for anti bullying. But this time I wanted to advocate a SOLUTION. I'm changing my platform to self-esteem. Here's why...

I don't know if you know this, but I was bullied severely in high school. I mean, it was horrendous. But to make a long story short, the effects that the bullying had on me, even after the bullying had stopped, became a huge problem. But I had an "Aha" moment when I was thinking about why it took such a lasting effect on who I am. The answer? A lack in self-esteem.

A healthy sense of self esteem can actually combat issues like bullying, eating disorders, depression and more. So in choosing to alter my platform, I realized this is not only a solution for victims who have been bullied, but a solution for an abundance of problems. The more people who can be helped, the better. So that's why it's changed.

Reason number 2.

If you follow my Instagram you will have probably seen this post in January...





You don't need to have experienced something traumatic to have a lack of confidence. You can be an "over-thinker" like myself, although I strongly dislike that term. I don't see anything wrong with analyzing every detail of a situation. You could be what we call HUMAN. Seriously. It's normal. The only problem is the effects self consciousness has on you.

With that being said, I think it's important to learn your value. With confidence, you can handle almost anything.

Here are a few tips to build confidence that I want to be able to spread to others:

1) Stop Comparing. I'm the first one to admit, I am SOOO guilty of this. I can tell you right off the bat, it doesn't help you in any way. At all. Ever. You will never be anyone but yourself. That doesn't mean the person next to you is better than you. It just means they're different. A different person with different attributes, goals, and senses of happiness. That's the beauty of individuality. You are the only you and nobody can take that from you. If you fall into the habit of doing this, change your mindset to become inspired by others. Look to others for inspiration, not to compare.

2) Give. You're probably thinking this is so irrelevant and cliche, but i'm about to change the way you think. Going back to the "over-thinker" attribute a lot of us tend to have, we always think about ourselves. We nit-pick every flaw we have. We think everyone notices every flaw the way we do. Guess what? They don't. That's just the truth. Not even kidding. Statistics prove that people actually look for the good in others so much, that they see nothing but perfection in others' lives, causing a lack of self esteem in their own lives because everyone else's lives seem better than theirs. So, the answer is to give. If you stop thinking about yourself and you focus on contributing your time and effort to other's needs, you will have a boost of confidence. Your mind will be taken off yourself and your insecurities and you will gain confidence because you know you're doing something great for someone else.

3) Gratitude. Again, i'm totally guilty of this. It's really bad actually. I got a RUDE awakening this month with my mother becoming severely ill. I took every minute with mother and everything she does for our family for granted. It didn't cross my mind how much my family relies on her until she became sick. Suddenly, my sister and I are cleaning, cooking, not sleeping, not having all of the answers to every problem at our finger tips, because yes, we ask my mother for advice CONSTANTLY. But now my appreciation for life and my mother has grown immensely and oddly enough, it's made me happier than I've ever been. Don't let a bad situation be the reason you start to appreciate the good. Appreciate the good now. Sit and write a list of 10 amazing things in your life right now. Yes, life itself can count. You're breathing. You're alive. You're functioning. So you're blessed. You'll be amazed by how much you have going for you and that will give you a great boost of confidence and motivation.

Those are just three of many tips I want to share to people. 

Now for the fun part.

The new pageant!

This August, i'll be competing for Miss Hudson Valley 2015. I've never competed in this pageant before but read the tagline... "Smart. Beautiful. You!". Come on, if that doesn't have my platform written all over it, what does?

I feel that a fresh start with a new pageant will allow me to thrive being who I am. I'm excited and I already feel 100% ready to compete. I've made some great new pageant sisters through this organization and with that, I feel like family already.

For anyone who wants to support this journey of mine, here is the link to my donation page for my registration to compete and advocate the importance of self-esteem:



Thank you so much for everyone's support on this journey with me!

April Maroshick



No comments:

Post a Comment